How to Make Your Loyalty Program Rewards IrresistibleGuides • May 22, 2018
Every great story can be ruined by clichés.
Ordinary rewards can also ruin your loyalty program’s success story. Why? Because customers are immune to them.
To keep this from happening, just make your rewards so irresistible that your customers can’t get enough of them.
It may seem impossible or mysterious at first, but it’s easier than you think. To help you, I have five different out-of-the-box approaches that can help your pump up your rewards list:
1. Special experiences
Customers love unforgettable experiences that make them feel special. Here are some examples of experience-oriented rewards:
- VIP events: Show customers how your custom products are made at an in-store event
- Courses: Help customers perfect their look by offering courses or appointments with a professional stylist
- Contests: Ask customers to submit photos of their favorite products in their favorite places and give the winner a free professional photo-shoot
Sound expensive? Here’s the silver lining: Experiential rewards can actually help you to reduce your loyalty program expenses, because you won’t have to deal with shipping and logistics.
2. VIP rewards for your valuable customers
Keeping your brand advocates happy is crucial for your business. Your loyalty program is a great platform from which to talk to them directly and reward their loyal behaviour with VIP offers.
- Member-only offers: Allow VIP customers to buy limited edition goods.
- Early access: Top customers to buy from the Spring Collection a week in advance of official, public release.
- Product test: Let customers try on the latest sunglasses and give you feedback on the new designs.
3. Exclusive treasures
Offer something your customers can’t get anywhere else. Here are some nice examples:
- Accessories: Buy the wellies and get matching winter socks for free.
- Products: Offer members-only seasonal packages of product samples from your beauty line.
- Virtual gifts: Offer phone backgrounds that match this season’s hot colors and patterns.
4. Personalisation always works
Personalisation may sound like a boring marketing term, but it’s here to stay because it works. Customers always appreciate getting rewarded based on their preferences. So don’t miss this great opportunity. Here are some ideas of how to do this.
- Gift packages: Ensure product recommendations are tailored to the right shoe or clothing sizes… or even the customer’s favourite colour. Nothing is worse than getting a stunning product recommendation only to find out it’s no longer available in your size.
- Quality advice: Good advice never goes out of style. Face-to-face or virtual meetings with stylists and personal shoppers. It doesn’t get more personal than that!
5. Customers just wanna have fun
Don’t stress out if your budget is limited for the season. You don’t have to offer high-value VIP experiences all the time to make your loyalty program successful. Spice up your rewards from time to time, just to keep things interesting:
- Membership card for product lines: Start a club for some of your most popular products or brands. A new landing page and exclusive offers for members are all you need to make it work.
- Get virtual: Virtual badges and gifts can be a great way to put a smile on a customer’s face, but they have to be relevant! Even awesome gifts at a lower monetary value can go a long way. Offer a new playlist or some songs on iTunes to go with that new workout outfit.
Make it relevant
These five approaches lead you through different ways to maximise the buzz around your loyalty program’s rewards. Don’t get stuck on one-size-fits-all clichés.
Be brave enough to find out what resonates with your customers and introduce rewards in your loyalty program that are more about emotions than monetary benefits.
Do you have any questions? Are you uncertain about your reward plans? Our team of loyalty strategists would be pleased to organise a Skype call with you. Contact us if you need a hand.
I also wrote an e-book about how to create the best rewards for your loyalty program. If you’d like to learn more, you can download it for free.
Article was first published on Aug 26, 2015. Edited for recency, accuracy and comprehensiveness on May 22, 2018.